Who is Jesse Slaughter and What Does She Have to Do with Video Games?

Posted by on Friday, 17th December, 2010

Jessi Slaughter was an 11-year-old girl when she first rose to internet fame through the following video, which she posted on a fansite for the band Blood on the Dancefloor. Note the vulgar language and violent bravado.

When the video became widely known, some of the internet’s more troll-like individuals decided to challenge her claim that people “can’t faze me” and threats of “brain slushie”. So they started posting nasty messages to her and making hostile videos of their own.

Things escalated, and eventually some unscrupulous jerks released her personal info including home phone number, address, etc. The full details are here. These people obviously crossed the line, but given the violent and inflammatory nature of her earlier video, it would be silly for Jessi to play the victim, right?

Well, her dad did step in, and he didn’t hold back on the bizarre threats: People leaving nasty comments will be “backtraced” by the “cyber-police”, whatever that is. He ended by assuring that, if he catches anyone else trying to annoy his daughter, “consequences will never be the same”.

What this Has to Do with Video Games: Parents! Pay attention to what your kid’s doing online! I hear kids talking like Jessi Slaughter on XBox Live all the time. The time to get involved is before little Timmy or Susie starts threatening strangers with the brain slushie!

I feel bad for Mr. Slaughter, because he’s obviously trying to protect his daughter, and doesn’t know how to deal with trolls like the creeps on 4Chan. But he also didn’t know about the earlier video, and he also didn’t realize that the best thing to do would be to just disconnect the freaking webcam!

Oh, and there’s another way that this all connects to video games, too, but I’ll let you figure that one out for yourself.

1. Thejcmyster says:

People like this are the sort of people that give the other majority of kid/teen gamers a bad name.I’m fourteen and can safely say that I have never in my life done or see someone do something as appalling as this before. Thanks to these kind of people everybody is now convinced that all young gamers are like this. News flash people THEY’RE NOT!!!!

Oh, and I totally forgot! After all the insanity and smoke cleared, she needed to prove to the world that she had learned NOTHING by making this video. Can’t stop her! Umm.. and.. can’t stop her!

3. ender837 says:

whatever the situation is with the parents is what is pushing this kid into this behavior. my kid doesnt even know the majority of the words this girl used in the first 20 seconds of the video. where are the parents? why would they let a minor have unrestricted access to a webcam let alone the internet.

this is shocking to say the least. but deep down it breaks my heart to see this family. they seem so lost.

4. Jack says:

Way worse than the 12 year old kids on xbox live. Man!?!? :O

5. Jonmau5 says:

I agree with the comments above.

I’m 22 years old, I would not post a video of myself spouting insults to ‘haters’ or anyone because obviously it will backfire.

Saints Row, COD, Halo, FIFA or whatever. There is no shortage of kids that sound exactly like this….

Her parents are morons. Ranting and raving at the camera will do nothing but make the people who sent the threats, messages etc do it even more. They won.

6. Jim says:

Shoot the lot of them, the entire family, logic like that is just too painful to watch and I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. If her father really wanted to protect her then he shouldn’t be allowing his pubescent daughter unsupervised access to the internet with a webcam, seriously, did that thought not cross his mind? Its akin to those dim-witted parents who see their little ‘darlings’ obsess over gang culture, who go out to ‘play’ until 3am or who are constantly getting into trouble then try to blame someone else when their little ‘angel’ is stabbed at the local KFC due to some pissing ground turf war with someone else’s little darling. If logic like that continues to breed then we’re not going to be making progress any time soon.

Hats off to the parents who make an effort with their children, it can’t be easy but boy the rewards must feel a thousand times better.

As a parent myself, I keep a close eye on what my daughter us up to when she uses the internet, what is particularly worrying is that, this kid is only 2 years older than my daughter.

We have tried to bring her up to have good values, we never swear in front of her, even if I say ‘damn’ she tutts and rolls her eyes at me.

The trouble is parents these days, not only don’t know what their kids are up to, but don’t even take the time to teach their kids right from wrong, I just think that most parents don’t care anymore and are too busy in their own little bubbles to know what is going on most of the time, and when people quote freedom of speech to games ratings etc and that parents should parent kids, not the government, then demonstrate that you are doing it!!!

That’s my rant over!

8. SoupdragonDan says:

If I found out that my child had made this kind of YouTube video or behaved that way online and had used that kind if language I would revoke all Internet privileges immediately. WTF were her parents doing by letting her make a second and even a third to try and confront the subhuman detritus that she had attracted with her initial post. For me the shocking lack of parental responsibility throughout this whole sorry episode is absolutely tragic. Yet even more tragic is the fact that all you have to do to encounter children exhibiting this kind of behavior is play a multiplayer shooter on XBL or PSN.
    The sooner parents start waking up to the fact that their little angel may well be behaving like a foul mouthed racist little scumbag as soon as their bedroom door is closed the better.

Rant over 🙂

9. Jonathan says:

You post a video of yourself on Youtube you become a target. Simple. If you don’t want criticism and to be judged don’t stand on the soapbox…..

If you can take the criticism, take the bad with the good and get your point across then you should do the videos.