Skyrim: Dragons or Multiplayer (Pick One)

Posted by on Wednesday, 6th April, 2011

Cheers to IGN for this interview with Skyrim developer Todd Howard. There’s some good stuff here, about the conversation system (no more zooming in on drab faces), travel mechanics (fast and otherwise), and auto-leveling (short answer: it’s a mixed bag).

On page two, he discusses the absence of multiplayer, and it sorta sounds like he’s been listening to our podcast!

The two most requested features we get are dragons and multiplayer. We got one of them this time! We always look into multiplayer, put lots of ideas on the whiteboard, and it always loses. It’s not that we don’t like it. I can think of ways it would be a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, that dev time is going to take away from doing the best single player game we can, and that’s where our hearts are.

1. Barton Funk says:

If all goes well with this, then Skyrim looks as if I’ll be losing another 5 years of my life, as I did to Morrowind (don’t look at me like that, n’wah), and best of all, we finally get to traverse the mountain pass from Cyrodiil into the Dragon lands. I spent a long time gazing over those mountains on the edge of the map in Oblivion, just hoping that one day my Nord would return home (wistful, contemplative yet resolved face…).

Multiplayer would ruin this series. Over the last ten years the online multiplayer experience has overtaken almost every game genre, and resulted in developers taking the single player campaigns as last-minute add-ons, which, for those of us who occasionally enjoy life OFFLINE, is sacrilegious to RPG gaming as it was originally conceived. I love how gaming has evolved to accommodate more than 1p vs 2p, but sometimes I want to play out a role alone, and there are precious few games willing to offer that choice. Plus, DRAGONS. I mean, come on.

2. Surface Lizard says:

I agree, Phil, you b@stard, lesbian-mothered poo face.

3. AxemanPhil says:

Yep, they definitely made the right call here. If I’m going to be ripped to shreds, better that it’s by a dragon than by a 9-year-old questioning my parentage and/or sexuality of my mother.

4. AllPraise2Me says:

I am very excited for this game, it definitely does not need a multiplayer. I love they have added Dragons, can’t wait to get ripped apart buy one of them before searching for some beastly weapon to kill it. I think the game looks blindingly good.

5. Sentinal says:

Quanrian were you watching the same trailer I watched? To say it ‘looks extremely rough both in graphics and animations to the point of looking dated’ is just plain silly and elitist. And to compare it to Morrowind? C’mon. Also I don’t see how taking elements from Fallout 3 to be idiocy. That was and is a great game. Bathesda know what they are doing and how to make RPG’s. I’m confident they will come through once again.

Yeah, I guess I didn’t make clear that I don’t think it needs multiplayer. I like Skyrim looks awesome, and except for COD (which doesn’t need winged fire-breathing monsters), I’ll choose dragons over multiplayer anyday!

7. thejcmyster says:

Amen to that stu!
    It seems that all games now think its compulsory to have a multiplayer. Like fallout, mass effect bioshock 1 and assasins creed 1+2. These were all really good games/game series and didnt have a multiplayer. It goes to show that sometimes multiplayer takes away from the single player story, except red dead of course! Im glad bethesda are concentrating the story and gameplay more.

8. woody says:

I hope to god there is no multiplayer in this. Elder scrolls has its niche carved out nicely. stick to what your good at and concentrate on improving that.

I am quite happy with no multiplayer in Skyrim, I will say this once…NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!!

10. Quanrian says:

Though you hate it Duke, you cannot deny the fact that Two Worlds 2 does have multi-player and it works great. In other words, people can play that ‘other’ game and get a ‘similar’ experience. Personally, I still think Skyrim looks extremely rough both in graphics and animations to the point of looking dated. It almost looks like Morrowind in graphic and animation quality. Blending in elements from Fallout 3 is slight brilliant and mostly idiocy. They keep dumbing down Elder Scrolls to the point where the only people left playing the series any more will be COD fans who want their fantasy fix while anyone who wants depth will be forced to look elsewhere.