Anita Sarkeesian Forced Out of Her Home

Posted by on Thursday, 28th August, 2014

You want to know why I’m so angry on this week’s podcast? It’s because of the wretched, pathetic, violent anger directed at women who challenge the male status quo in the world of video games.

Today Anita Sarkeesian shared this horrifying series of tweets (WARNING: Vile and graphic!) demonstrating how specific and atrocious the threats and harassment have gotten for her.

Earlier she explained that she had to leave her home:

I’m safe. Authorities have been notified. Staying with friends tonight. I’m not giving up. But this harassment of women in tech must stop!

This stuff makes me sick to my stomach, and so I shout and curse when the topic comes up. I’m not going to be quiet about it, and I hope everyone understands that my rage isn’t about a particular incident or even a few of them. It’s because I’ve seen this same sort of thing happen over and over, for years, and mostly men don’t care — if they even know about it.

We men have a responsibility to stand up to these atrocities. Not just by clucking our tongues when someone crosses the line, but by demanding a safe place for everyone — especially women, who receive a unique kind of horrible backlash — to express their opinion.

1. Gangu says:

The hate directed at Anita Sarkeesian was totally unacceptable.

However, I find it hard to support someone who I personally feel chooses to manipulate a narrative that provokes this kind of attention. I am not saying all her points were wrong but she was particularly judgmental at times when it suited her.

Women are represented in a way Anita detests in many realms of media, just look at the latest niki minaj music video. I do not think aiming her agenda at videogame developers and the people that play them was very helpful in making change.

As I have said before it would be great if we had more positive female characters in videogames and I believe that change will come, not just because of Anita’s message.

For me it would be more interesting to hear women discuss the issues Anita raised in her report/video, and see if they feel the same way about how women are represented in videogames as opposed to other kinds of media.

2. Verbalrob says:

It appears that your suspicions may indeed be correct Duke:

“A couple of days ago, I posted an email from the San Francisco Police Department verifying a police report placed by Anita Sarkeesian. Why? Because a muckraker accused her of lying, and drummed up a BUNCH of hate. His message had over six hundred reshares. His thread had dozens of people talking about how she needs to be imprisoned, how she needs to be shot, and how she’s… you get the picture. So, I fact-checked. And I posted the results of that fact-checking. Did I get six hundred people recanting their threats, insults, and accusations? No. I got a couple dozen people threatening me, and a fuckton of people insulting me for DARING to fact-check a journalist. When, mind you, the Gamergate movement is supposedly about holding journalists accountable. Do you know how many messages came up to the effect of, “Oh. I shouldn’t have jumped the gun and accused her without the facts?” None. None at all.”

From

Brad — I’m not sure where you got a YouTube clip of a phone call to the police, but without knowing who you are or what your relationship to all of this is, I can only say that I take your comments with much more suspicion than I take the word of Feminist Frequency and Ms. Sarkeesian.

Unless you’re somehow related to the Twitter user in question, I don’t have any idea why you would spend your time posting on our site about this matter. However, we thank you for visiting, and have a nice day.

4. BradD80 says:

It has been independently verified that this story is 100% false and fabricated by Anita Sarkeesian.

This story needs major correction and or retractions to it. And an apology to gamers.

[Link Removed] Phone call with the SF police.

And the Email I got from the SF police as well. Is it common practice to run unverified stories as fact? Do you commonly run fabrications as fact? A retraction and correction is in need.

I’ve researched for this incident and thus far unable to locate any information of this alleged incident. I did find an incident back in March where Ms. Sarkeesian was threatened but not on Aug 28/29.

Furthermore, we are not going to speculate on the alleged “telling someone to quite their job” comment. This is all hearsay and it would be inappropriate to make such comment when I am not even able to verify this was reported.

I can tell you the department takes all criminal matters seriously and respects the victim when they are reporting matters to police. A word of advise to readers is to report all incidents of crime to police and save any text, email, tweet as evidence and present it to police when you make a report. The department will investigate the matter.

Regards,

Thanks to Lord Jason for this response from over 600 game developers.

“We believe that everyone, no matter what gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religion has the right to play games, criticize games and make games without getting harassed or threatened. It is the diversity of our community that allows games to flourish.”

Awesome.

6. Verbalrob says:

Something really needs to be done to stop this kind of stuff. It seems to be on the rise of late and I’ve even seen people saying that if they don’t want these kind of responses then they should keep their opinions to themselves, so much for freedom of speech. I’m starting to wonder if we, as a society, don’t deserve the freedoms we have as it appears that when we don’t live under oppressive regimes we just oppress ourselves instead.