I've been, as ever, keeping my finger on the figurative pulse, so I'm just now getting into Deus Ex. The stealth mechanics are just excellent, possibly better than those of Arkham Asylum, and you rarely feel you've been cheated, which can so often happen with stealth games. Visually, if not staggeringly impressive, it certainly is stylish, the black and gold angularness of the world does give it a certain aesthetic character.
But (and there are more than one or two buts), as has been dicussed at length, the boss battles represent quite the difficulty spike, and if you, as I have, spend your praxis points on merely stealth orientated upgrades, you are at a significant disadvantage. After barely struggling through the first couple of bosses, I've come to an unwelcome conclusion, that the game really requires me to carry two loadouts. My tranquiliser rifle and stun gun for 98% of the game, along with the required ammo etc., and for the remaining 2%, by now because of lack of use, I'm sure a rather rusty combat rifle and a very neglected P.E.P.S. I am infuriated. The story isn't exactly gripping, far from it. Not the easiest to follow, and filled with abbreviations and references to lore that was mentioned to me in dull cutscenes hours of game time ago. Without feeling particularly close to the climax, the story devices are getting wearing. After being told group X are the real enemy, how many times is it interesting to find out that, in fact, person Y is the one we should actually be worried about. When one particular, Dan Brown-esque enemy was mentioned, I buried my head in my hands. Less frequent, but nonetheless, still irritating, are the unavoidable diplomacy cutscenes, which drag for minutes on end, requiring no skill, and just seem to be sheer guesswork. Also, the open world is, widely, uneccessary, and not at all rewarding to explore, I'd prefer just to be able to 'copter straight to each mission and not have to walk down the same road for the hundredth time.
Rant over. Sorry. *sigh*
P.S. I actually quite like it, honestly!